Sisu is how the Finnish Dig Deep
Sisu is a centuries old concept from Finland. What does it mean when someone describes you as having sisu? Take it as a compliment! Precise definitions are hard to come by. But when you hear the word sisu, think along the lines of grit, determination, stoicism & psychological strength and you’re on the right track.
How to recognise sisu
Have you ever…
- truly believed, in a haze of exhaustion, that your reserves were spent and failure was imminent? Only to find, from some magical place, the energy and will to continue.
- embarked on a project of such magnitude that others have warned you that to try is madness? Even so, you achieved your goal.
- Do you frequently undertake challenges that you know to be beyond your current capabilities but persist because you believe, with a dogged determination, that you have what it takes to develop your skills to the next level and, no matter what setbacks you encounter, achieve success.
- Have you ever succeeded against all odds in the face of adversity?
- Are you known for digging deep and carrying on?
- When you fail, fail and fail again, do you continue?
How Can You Develop this Magical Finnish Quality?
- Push yourself to take on new challenges. For example, choose the goal that you feel is just outside of your comfort zone, these are the goals that require sisu.
- When success eludes you, look for ways to overcome failures and persevere. This kind of determination will bring success one step closer.
- Adopt a growth mindset approach. A growth mindset encompasses so many key characteristics of sisu. It makes sense to strengthen your growth mindset thinking and take the most powerful approach possible to every challenge.
- Resilience is a key concept within sisu too. Consequently, you might choose to build resilience. Many people find activities like spending time in nature or mindfulness provide a huge boost to their resilience. Why not combine the two with some mindful rewilding or nature journaling?
Want to discover more about some of the concepts mentioned here? Take a look at the free resources from Planet Positive Change. For example, our free growth mindset course or mindfulness quiz